Wednesday 13 February 2013

Favourite Foundations

Chanel Vitalumiere aqua+Bourjous healthy mix+Illamasqua skin base

My Favourite Foundations
L-R Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, Bourjous Healthy Mix, Illamasqua Skinbase


1. Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua - B50 £32 here

Coverage: Light/Medium
Finish: Dewy
Buildability: Very Buildable

I used to have oily skin, I was a huge fan of Chanel Matte Lumiere (discontinued) however since I had my daughter my skin type has really changed a lot. I would class it as combination however the majority of the time my skin leans more towards the dry end of the scale. So when Matte Lumiere was discontinued rather than purchase Perfection Lumiere, which was the new foundation released a hybrid of the discontinued Matte and Pro Lumiere I decided to try a lighter, water based more dewy foundation and I purchased Vitalumiere Aqua. 

My first application I used my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, it applied ok, I wasn't wowed and it still showed on my skin.The main reason for be buying this was how natural it was said to look, undetectable on the skin therefore I was pretty disappointed.
For my next application I used my beauty blender sponge and it applied patchy, maybe because of the damp sponge and a water based foundation combination. At this point I was really disappointed, it's not the cheapest of foundations and I've always really enjoyed Chanel foundations. 

Refusing to be defeated the next time I used Vitalumiere Aqua I went back to basics and applied it with my fingers, it was beautiful! I've continued to apply it this way since. The heat of your hands warms up the foundation and really allows it to work into your skin. This then gives the illusion of no makeup, just lovely, dewy skin.

I would recommend this to anybody with dry skin wanting a healthy glow.


2. Bourjois Healthy Mix - £9.99 here
Coverage: Medium
Finish: Natural
Buildability: Buildable

Firstly notice I haven't put my shade above, this is because I can't remember my shade as it's so long since I had it.

 I was under the impression that Bourjous had discontinued their darker shades as I have three Boots stores close to me, one being a megastore and every time I've been to repurchase Healthy Mix the darkest shade they have 54 is too light for me however as I love it I have been buying it anyway and adding a bit of my Illamasqua Skin Base in SB12 to match my skin. 

While looking for a link to add here I saw Superdrug offer an additional four darker shades online. 

Healthy Mix is my most repurchased foundation ever!

 I never wore foundation before I was pregnant,  I just never felt the need to. I still have pretty good skin, breakouts are very rare. I had a bad time when I was around 11/12yrs however once that cleared up and luckily left no scars I haven't had a problem since. Anyway, when I was pregnant I developed the 'pregnancy mask' (can't remember the actual medical term) and had crazy pigmentation on my face. I went straight out to buy a foundation to even out my skin and Healthy Mix was the one I chose. It was the delicious, fruity scent that swayed my decision as being pregnant and craving fruit I actually wanted to eat it! Luckily though I loved the foundation, smooth application, medium coverage which covered my pigmentation and a nice natural finish. 

Three years on I still reach for this most days over my high end foundations. 

Healthy Mix has been likened to the discontinued Chanel Pro Lumiere. Having never used Pro Lumiere I can't comment on that

I would recommend this foundation to anybody. 



3. Illamasqua Skin Base -SB12 £27 here

Coverage: Medium
Finish: Natural/Skin
Buildability: Buildable

The main reason for me buying this foundation was the tag line 'ultimate skin realism'. That's the look I prefer, I want my skin to look like skin. 

Does it live up to its claims? It certainly does! I like to buff this into my skin with my Real Techniques Expert Face brush and it is practically undetectable yet still covers any redness and imperfections. 

The shade range is fantastic too stretching from pure white to darkest ebony, a shade for everybody. 

The only problem I have is with the packaging, the tube becomes harder and harder to squeeze the right amount out the more you use it and I anticipate that near the end I will need to cut the packaging open or lose a lot of product. 

Again I would recommend this foundation to anybody. 


Have you tried these foundations? How did you get on with them?
What's your favourite foundation? 
Any recommendations you think I should try?

Please comment below.


Disclaimer: All links provided are for your convenience, I am not affiliated with any of these brands.



8 comments:

  1. I've never tried any of those foundations. I've just started getting into makeup, I'm 23 and I currently use MAC Studio Fix Foundation. I must admit I've been using it for over two years now and I get great coverage and it gives it a flawless look. The only problem is my face gets oily by mid day. Do you know any way to help this problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a few things you can do. First is really basic, powder through your T zone with a powder puff using press and roll motions to set your makeup after application. If you still become oily and you don't mind to do so you can carry blotting papers and powder to use at midday. Personally I would recommend you use an oil free primer before you apply your foundation, Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown both have great oil free primers.
      Lastly you could change your foundation, if you want to stick with MAC I've been told Matchmaster foundation is great on oilier skins. From the drugstore I would recommend Revlon Colourstay they have one aimed at oily skin.
      Depending on how oily your skin is you may need to combine a few of these methods however I'd say start with the powder, if you need extra help try a primer and if that still doesn't help change your foundation. I wouldn't go out and buy everything all at once as you may not need to change everything and would be a waste of your money.
      Finally, if you're using a really rich moisturiser before your foundation this will make the problem worse. Try something lighter like basic Oil of Olay xx

      Delete
    2. I currently use the Mac Prep & Prime Primer before I apply it. I know what you mean. Sadly I live in the Caribbean so the main store we have here in terms of good makeup is the MAC store only. You don't get NARS, Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier or any of those high end products here at all! You do get most of the drugstore makeup though. It pretty much sucks. Currently I use Oil of Olay as my moisturizer too! I guess I just need to play around and see what works and doesn't work! Thanks for the reply!

      Delete
    3. Yeah the best thing you can do is experiment and you'll work out what's right for you. You could also look online for a professional setting powder, one that's used to withstand hot studio lights xx

      Delete
  2. i really want to try healthy mix!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc // youtube

    ps. enter my new giveaway to win the UD naked basics palette, real techniques brushes and essie polishes! click here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healthy Mix is my most repurchased foundation too, omg I love it think ive went through 6 bottles/tubes whatever they are easy. I really want some Skin Base, think its going to be my next foundation splurge. Illamasqua has to be one my fav places to go the staff are just so lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too and their products are fantastic! I've never bought anything I don't like. Have you got their Beguile pigment Luce? You will love it! Xx

      Delete